Good evening TFNationals,
We need to take a small break from Transformers-related news to bring you an important update concerning a scam email campaign.
This afternoon, several TFN traders notified us that they received suspicious-looking emails from a company offering to sell our attendee list. We are very grateful for their swift action. The emails looked like this;
I am following up to confirm, if you are interested acquiring the attendees list.
16-18 Aug 2019
Let me know your thoughts so that I can send cost & additional information.
Sr. Business Analyst
We take all data-related messages seriously and this attempt to trick our traders, unsophisticated as it may be, has been fully investigated by senior TFNation staff. We have found the same email has been used multiple times, with different event company names being substituted in on each occasion.
We are 100% confident there has been no data breach. No TFNation emails, website logins, servers or databases have been accessed improperly. Our advice therefore, is to delete these emails immediately, should you receive them.
To reassure our attendees at this time, we would like to remind you of a few important points;
1. TFNation does not sell attendee data.
3. TFNation uses GDPR-compliant systems, and is fully registered as a Data Processor with the Information Commissioner’s Office (Registration number ZA129188)
4. TFNation holds confirmed payment gateway accounts with “Paypal for Business” and “Stripe”. This means we never collect or hold attendee’s financial data.
5. TFNation holds a full SSL certificate, which certifies our website as being authentic and secure.
6. All passwords use the PBKDF2 algorithm with a SHA256 hash, which is a password stretching mechanism recommended by NIST.
In summary, we are 100% confident these emails were sent as part of an opportunistic scam attempt. They have now been passed to our legal team for further consideration. In the meantime, we encourage attendees to always be vigilant; if something does not look right, please don’t hesitate to let us know.
Thank you for your time. We now resume robot-related activities.
The TFNation Crew